Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule

From: "Mellow Marquis" <mellowmarquis () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:41:18 +1000

I agree with whoever said that this does relate to 'Availability' and
therefore is a security issue. A few years ago, I had a Novell network
with intermittent problems on client PCs.
After ruling out everything else, I checked the RAID array and found
one disk with some bad sectors.

Things weren't so bad that the disk had died, but the array wasn't
smart enough to know that some critical files were slightly corrupted
which all users needed to access. Once the drive was replaced and the
array rebuilt, the problem was fixed.

It always surprises me the number of people who assume that drive
redundancy in an array assures data integrity because I do not believe
this to always be the case.

With the proliferation of SANs and NAS these days, I think this will
become more of an issue which many admins will not be able to properly
diagnose.

- Marquis