Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet Explorer 8 beta and xss filter...

From: "Mike Theriault" <Mike_Theriault () Jabil com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:46:45 -0400

I'm glad to see that Microsoft is taking steps to improve the security of IE
as well. Let's not forget that type-1 XSS attacks can be prevented by
disabling active scripting.  Firefox in conjunction with "NoScript" has done
a great job in this area by allowing you to customize active scripting for a
given site, but unfortunately for IE it's all or nothing so disabling
scripting does not lend itself well to usability because so many sites
leverage it.

I hope IE8 gives you a greater level of granularity and control over the
scripting runtime than what IE offers today.

Regards,

Mike Theriault
Corporate Application Security Engineer
"We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap, ballot, jury, and
cartridge."