Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: College Courses for Info Sec or Certificates or Both?

From: "Nelson, James" <jnelson () ad nmsu edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:56:31 -0600

Phil,

It all depends on your career goals. Do you want to be a technician and manage technology or do you want to manage
technology and people? Do you want to manage an IPS or do you want to choose which IPS your company will use? Do you
want to write policy and procedure, develop Business Continuity Plans, and be in charge of developing a budget? The
more you want to deal with people or money, the higher level degree you will need in today's IT world. Some people love
technology and want to focus on that. Others want to focus on being managers, but still be involved with technology.
After the tech oriented certs, there are the management certs from basic management (CISSP), mid-level (CISM), to
high-level (SABSA - CSA). The hot cert today is Certified (Chartered in the UK) Security Architect from SABSA. Most new
CISSP, CISM, CSA - SABSA candidates today already have a 4-year degree.

Best of Luck!

Jim

James A. Nelson, Ph.D.
New Mexico State University