Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Shrepoint as an CSIRMS

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:37:00 -0400

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Brooks Garrett <bg () brooksgarrett com>
wrote:

We have settled on SharePoint as our Computer Security Incident
Response Management System. It seems the ability to modify the system
is a key factor with us!

... must. resist. urge. to bring up the argument that a closed source
system with an API does not equal an ability to modify said system...

crud. resistance was futile ;-)

My question before I start coding my own application, are you guys
using any particular templates/applications/etc with your SharePoint
installations that suit this purpose?

I don't have any templates/applications for sharepoint, but it may be
helpful to take a look at RTIR and see if any of the features it has
would be a value to your needs. Probably the best place to find that
list of features is on the comparision to the vanilla RT product:
http://bestpractical.com/rtir/comparison.html

I'm unsure how workable it would be to add any of these features to the
code you're doing in the framework you've been given (I could see
maybe creating a webpart for whois lookups, or traceroute, or such?)

In other words, if you are using SharePoint as an IMS, how are you
doing it?

I'm not in the position of using SharePoint as an IMS, a fact for which
I'm fairly thankful. I can't imagine it making a decent solution for
such a product honestly, but then, I don't know what your requirements
for such a product are.

On the upside, I just got a lot happier about the crappy system I
am currently working on migrating to for Incident Response, because
"at least it's not SharePoint" =)

The product itself "as is" doesn't lend itself well to IMS as I think
of it ((eg. ticketing, customer interaction/feedback, useful tools like
whois/traceroute, etc.). The list features that it provides are fairly
rudimentary IMO, and the Document Libararies etc. I can't see being
all that useful in incident response, beyond having a repository of
process docs or such.

I can say that I currently do use SharePoint to manage documentation
around investigation of incidents, and find it to be lacking. Specifically
I've noticed a number of oddities around datestamps on the
documents.

But then, my exposure to SharePoint hasn't included working with a
homegrown codebase on top of the framework, and it could be that
many of the faults I find are simply the results of an insufficiently
'tweaked' environment.

Good luck with the endeavor, and honestly, I'd be interested in
hearing from you after it's been in production for a bit to see
how it's working out for you.

--
jason