Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: How does the Cain and Abel SAM dump works?

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:04:52 -0400

Yep, and rainbow tables are your friend.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Rob Thompson wrote:
Vikas Singhal wrote:
Hi Friends,

Nowaday, I am studying on the Topic - Cracking Windows password.

There are lot of tools out there which can dump LM and NTLM hashes for
you. But as far i know, you can't touch the SAM file when windows is
running, so, how does these tools work.

Is the sam dumped in-memory?

Regards

Whenever I've had to do that, I have copied the SAM off the box, while
the machine was running and then done the work offline.

I haven't had to do it a lot, but a few times and it's worked each time.

Hope that this helps.