Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Should proxy have one interface or two

From: "Gleb Paharenko" <gpaharenko () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:06:15 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rivest, Philippe <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: 2008/7/14
Subject: RE: Should proxy have one interface or two
To: Gleb Paharenko <gpaharenko () gmail com>

No that's a very normal and accepted network setup.
i don't remember the name of that setup but a single firewall setup is
considered basic security. If you want to add security heres how you could do
it.

Internet

(pub int) (1)
 Router

 |------------- ProxyLan

Internal router (2)

Lan

Dual firewall will help you grant access to public resource/client and limit
access to private and internal resources. This is done using 2 firewalls that
would "share" a single network together, that network in you design should be
proxylan. Router (1) will face internet and be more user friendly (usually)
and router (2) will have a goal to protect/limit access from and to internal
host/server. Using this you could have a single policy setup differently on
each router.

Firewall (1): grant access to HTTP server in "PROXYLAN" (external web site)
Firewall (1): grant access to MAIL server in "Proxylan" (Mail forwarder to
internal mail server)
Firewall (1): grant telnet/ssh/ftp access to servers in Proxylan
Firewall (1): grant access to VPN concentrator (for external connexion)
Firewall (1): DENY ALL

Firewall (2): Grant HTTP request & answer only if initiated from LAN
Firewall (2): Grant access from MAIL server within "PROXYLAN" to mail server
prime within lan (to sync them)
Firewall (2): Grant access from VPN Concentrator to ALL (exemple)
Firewall (2): DENY ALL

Basically, we denied all access in firewall 2 that was
Ssh
telnet
ftp
mail - limited to server to server communication
http request & answer - only those that a internal host initiated

and the list could go on.

Hope this helped :P :P

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca

Vous pourriez imprimer ce courriel, mais faire pousser un arbre c'est long.
You could print this email, but it does takes a long time to grow trees.