Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: what should I do when....

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:08:02 -0400

Eric,
Yes, and that is a part of the point that I was trying to make to the people on this list. That is also a part of the reason why my opinion about firewalls is what it is. Nice post man!

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Eric Starace wrote:
First, blocking all traffic in and out would really defeat the purpose
of having the host/server/workstation/whatever on a network.  Save
yourself some money and remove your firewall, routers and ISP service
if that is what you are currently doing.

Second, when thinking security you would be a fool if you were just
thinking about overt malicious threats from outside of the network.
You must layer security and never rely on a single solution.  You'll
get bitten and not realize it until your way over your head.