Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: snort updates and changes to snort.conf

From: "Michael Boman" <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:52:09 +0200

The tool you are looking for is called Oinkmaster
(http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/)

Best regards
Michael Boman

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM, newsecurityguy <JBASKEW () uncg edu> wrote:

I know this is not really the place for this question but I have had no luck
elsewhere. Currently, snort is set to update to the newest rule set on a
daily basis, which is what I want. However, I also need to suppress some
SIDS, which I have always done by editing the snort.conf file. When the
updates occur, it appears as if snort.conf is overwritten with a new
version, as the changes I make to the file do not last more than 24 hours
before disappearing out of the snort.conf. Am I correct in assuming this is
what is occurring? Is there any other way to easily suppress events without
having to edit the file after each update?