Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: "Bill Lavalette" <blavalet () homenet-security com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:01:22 -0500

I think Brent was right in saying get a real Firewall/VPN installed. I
believe the original thread on this was that there was a weird ssh mech that
the user found and was wondering why. We have swayed way past the advice
point on this thread IMHO. It appears that the company in question is using
a practice that was acceptable in the mid 90's If this is a risk that the
business owners are willing to accept then there is nothing this list is
going to gain or achieve by getting emotional about it. The best advice we
can give this person is to advise the business owners that they are in dire
need of a security overhaul and move forward. Heck I remember when port
sentry was the hot ticket. I must say thought I think Craig  in another
thread mentioned gains and losses, From a business perspective He is right
and some of you may interpret his words differently, Acceptable Risk is
another way we understand this.

Have a Happy and Prosperous 2008 all

Bill

====== HomeNet Security ===========