Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Track who logs into my email

From: "Paul J. Brickett" <swarzkopf () legolas sinnerz us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:12:48 -0500 (EST)

This is relatively easy to set up. In Exchange 2007, an event is written to the Application log anytime someone accesses a mailbox for which they are not the owner. In earlier versions of Exchange, this is not default behavior, but you can still set this up by configuring diagnostic logging on the Information Store service.

The event written will be event 1016. It will include the mailbox being accessed along with the username of the user who accessed it.

You can then use any event log monitoring tool to look for and alert on event 1016 written for your mail box. In the absence of a monitoring suite, you can script someone to send you an alert.

-PJB