Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: File Binders File Types & Microsoft Word.

From: "Vivek P" <iamherevivek () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:59:16 +0530

Hi all... New year greetZ to every one..

I was working file binding and malicious code execution in specific
file types, i had shortlisted few methods that are used (they are
listed below), i would want you all to help me by contributing with
your suggestions, research findings and any other information that
would help me align my research.

The methods that i had short listed were

1. Some known vulnerabilities in file types like JPEG, BITMAP etc...
2. Macros enabled by default in MS OFFICE
3. Using emails, manipulating MIME EXTENSIONS
4. On a compromised machine, changing the file type association

please suggest methods or concepts that you think are existing in the
wild, links would be helpful..

Thanks for the time and effort.

Vivek | d3@dbr@1n