Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: structuring the stolen laptop problem

From: pentestr <pentestr () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:27:40 +0530

Boot with backtrack live CD and you will be able to access all the data on the hard disk/ crack password of windows user and login as the administrator user and enjoy...

dimkovtrajce () yahoo com wrote:
Hi experts,

I am doing an overview of protection of laptops.

The scenario is as fallows:

1. laptop with sensitive information is stolen

2. the laptop is either hibernating or turned off when brought to the super hacker.

3. the super hacker does this for a living, and uses a structured approach to get the sensitive information from the
laptops that are given to him

I need to create a report that is very similar to the super hacker's in order to find possible vulnerabilities I can
concentrate my research on.

I would be very grateful for any input; as links, tricks, or previous work, as well as any ideas you might come up to.