Security Basics mailing list archives

Free Public WiFi Attempt At Social Engineering?

From: absolutezero273c () gmail com
Date: 21 Jan 2008 15:33:10 -0000

Off and on through out the year, and multiple times a month, there is a wireless access point/network that shows up on
my windows machines.

According to my "Wireless Network Connection" window it indicates it is a computer to computer network with the name of
Free Public WiFi with full signal strength.

Now based on the proximity of other buildings in our complex it would be rather difficult to obtain a "full strength"
signal from another business or neighbor.

I'd like to find out what type of network this is , where it is located and who it belongs to, and consider it a
security threat as I'm concerned that an employee might find it "convenient" to use and would open our network up to
whoever is providing the Free Public WiFi.

Should I be concerned that this is an attempt at social engineering a way into my network?

I've thought about configuring a linux laptop to gather information about this wireless connection, without divulging
information about my windows network, but am not sure what tools I would need or how to go about it or what to look for.

I've found some tools, like net stumbler or chanalyzer but really don't know what I'm looking for.

Am I overly paranoid or do I need to be concerned?