Security Basics mailing list archives

Storing doc pdfs within an application or database?

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:41:25 +0400

An in house developed application related to Human resources, developed using ASP (not asp.net) using Oracle 9i as backend, serves employees payroll and tracks their development. Part of each of the employees HR homepage (viewable on the web browser) pertains to storing their employment contract, their educational certificates, passport copies of their and their family spouses etc., in either pdf or doc format.

These files (pdf and doc) are stored in a shared folder on the same server hosting the application.

The problem is, there is 'security by obscurity' only. If I am savvy enough to use an application proxy or even dig through my browser history, I can find the whole URL relating to that document, as an example: Visited: Administrator@http://abcint/Administration/Employment_Contract_HR2006/2313441.pdf

where, 'abcint' is the Netbios name of the server and starting 'Administration' onwards is the webshare on the same server.

2313441.pdf is my employment contract number where the series of number is easily identifiable for it's my employee ID too.

Now, I can change that serial and *poof*, get to see any other pdf too, relating to another employee.

How do you guys take care of such authorisation/aunthentication mechanism when it comes to pdf/doc files that are not residing within a database?