Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot Server

From: Albert Gonzalez <albertg () cerveau us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:02:38 -0600

The bait n switch preproc with snort allows you to redirect traffic that triggered an alert to a honeypot/net which
combines research and some security features into a honeypot deployment. So they definitely can provide some security.
Take in mind that any traffic hitting your honeynet is malicious which can act as a warning system.

You can even deploy in a round-robin fashion so if alert is for a windows vuln send to win32 HP and if linux alert send
to *nix HP and so forth.

I wrote a paper with Jason Larsen discussing these ideas its called, Fun Things to do with your honeypot.

Hope that helps.
-Albert G.