Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PCI Compliance

From: "Michael Benedetto" <mbenedetto () amnh org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:38:43 -0500

One thing to understand is PCI does not only pertain to electronic systems, but also to printed records and databases
that may contain the cardholder information. It also pertains to all companies accepting credit cards.

PCI DSS requirement 4.2 states that you should "Never send unencrypted PANs by e-mail". Therefore, accepting
unencrypted cardholder information via E-mail is a clear violation of PCI. Additionally, the company will have to
review how it handles that information after the purchase has been processed. For example, how do they store the
transaction receipts once the purchase has been made?

Michael Benedetto, CISSP, CISM
Senior Associate Director of Information Technology
Network Systems and Information Security
American Museum of Natural History
   Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail