Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is PCI Compliance Mandatory

From: "Jason Thompson" <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:50:05 -0500

If any credit card data passes through your information systems, then
yes. For example I just did an app assessment for an organization that
had all their transactions processed by a CC processing vendor however
their web application took the CC data and forwarded it, therefore
they were under PCI DSS.

From the PCI DSS 1.1:

PCI DSS requirements are applicable if a Primary Account Number (PAN)
is stored, processed, or
transmitted. If a PAN is not stored, processed, or transmitted, PCI
DSS requirements do not apply.

-J