Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: guest + private wlan

From: "jesse-rink () wi rr com" <jesse-rink () wi rr com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:26:39 -0500

I did this in our environment utilizing an HP solution.  HP infrastructure
(already had this in place), HP WESM module (controller), and HP RPs (radio
ports/APs).

We have a private wireless network that is on its own VLAN.  We use 802.1x
with EAP/TLS on this network for company owned laptops.  We also have
another wireless VLAN that is used for guest access.  This is set with no
wireless security (open) and is funneled directly out to the internet via
our firewall without a path back into our company network.  Users connect
to the guest wireless network, are prompted for a Terms of Service page,
and can then surf the net.

We also setup bandwidth management/prioritization to make sure that guest
wireless access to not eat up our internet pipe.  They are limited in
regards to bandwidth speeds.

JR