Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco's SDM firewall and IDS reviews

From: "Andrea Gatta" <andrea.gatta () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:36:05 +0000

Hi,
first thing first SDM is nothing more than a graphical approach to
manage the new generation ISR from Cisco. It does add some features
like a sort of security assessment for the device it runs on and gives
the admin a way to lock down the router without going through th CLI.
Apart from that it's nothing more than a user space tool to manage IOS
routers runinng FW/IDS/IPS feature set. You can also manage ISPEC VPN
in every flavour (easyvpn, traditional site to site ans so on).

Having said that,chosing the right firewall it's more a matter of what
are your client's needs and constraints. At this regards this device
might or might not meet you needs depending of what part of the
network it's going to protect, what kind of application layer awarness
you need just to name. I would say that those kind of router might be
a good solution to protect the perimeter at the edge and assuming you
have other layer of protection all the way down to your backend if
any.

Cheers,
Andrea