Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Initial Machine login - Computer Forensics 101

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:23:36 -0800

  Making the copy is the FIRST approach.  In fact, make TWO copies --
one to save, and one to analyze.  Hubby may want his laptop back, and
it doesn't sound like you have any legal basis to hold onto it.

  There are tools that will let you set the Administrator password and
log in.  But that immediately opens the question of what things on
the drive are the result of hubby's actions, and which of YOURS.  If
there's any chance of someone wanting your findings to be given as
courtroom evidence, you don't want that to be in question.
  Ideally, you want to be able to give the opposing legal team their
own copy of the drive image as you received it, so they can have their
own analysis done.  (Hopefully, they'll come up with near enough the
same results you did that the matter won't have to go to trial.)

David Gillett