Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PI to do Forensics? WAS: Re: Two questions

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:39:18 +1100

Next - the issue is a license - NOT a PI License!

Here is the wonderful part of pulling small sections without the complete context. As the Bill states;

"(a) This chapter shall not apply to:
(8) A person whose professional practice is licensed or regulated by another agency or board of this state when such
person´s conduct falls within the scope of practice for such other profession. In the event the professional´s conduct
falls within the scope of activity regulated both by this chapter and elsewhere under state law, this chapter shall not
regulate such professional´s conduct."

As I have stated, accountants, Engineers, lawyers and MANY other professions that are licensed are excluded from having
to get a PI license. As there are more licensing bodies that cover this then the PI one and that they are in the
minority, the PI assertions are a fallacy and a slippery slope argument designed as FUD.

The best is that you MAY need to have one of MANY licenses. Or at the WORST you MAY need to work for one of many firms
that have a license. This is ANY legal firm, any engineering firm, any accountancy.

On top of this, there are agency law provisions that will cover this - but this is a fact based decision and thus case
by case.

All of this also comes to the facts of a case. An individual engaged to analyse a drive without specific reference to
finding criminal evidence is not doing the same as one who is.

Regards,
Dr Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.