Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: nix based ftp server suggestions

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:48:06 +1000

Thanks to all for great suggestions.
I am playing with vsftpd right now. Took literally two minutes to get
running, once I'd worked out the selinux issues.

When I mean easy to manage, I need an ftp server so that some of our users
can upload download large files to collaborate with people not in our
company. So I wanted to know if there is a way to generate passwords/access
by non tech users(ie marketing needs to give Graphics Co. X access to upload
download).
I guess this may need some scripting or perhaps there is some kind of front
end that is easy to use.

I suppose I want it to be secure so that randoms can't upload/download
anything and I will have to work out the directory structure/perms so that
it is logical and easy to navigate.