Security Basics mailing list archives

Endpoint performance and more

From: Tsu <tsudohnimh () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:27:54 -0600

I wanted to mention that it seems that Endpoint "settles" down after
the initial install. I did some extensive testing and initially it did
peg CPU and the prereqs were substantial but within 24 hours of
install the CPU usage by endpoint averaged 11%.

It is a 1st gen product and regardless of the manufacturer it seems
all 1st gens are a bit rough. However, Endpoint is trying to meet the
demands of todays risks by pushing beyond merely AV protection,
whether they are successful or not is up for us to decide.

Concerning other major players in the market: I've never cared for
McAfee products for performance and management reasons and Kapersky
continually has one of the best AV engines out there.

It is important to note that all AV misses malware and I'd bet if you
moved from Kapersky to Symantec you would see the same additional
detections.

I'd love to hear what you settle on and why.

I don't intend to defend Symantec but I wanted to add my experience
concerning performance. I think desktop AV is almost dead anyways.

Good luck in your decision sir.

--
tsudohnimh
www.knowthenetwork.com