Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for centrally managed corporate antivirus solution

From: Patrick Hendrick <phendrick () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:47:39 -0500

We use McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator to manage about 1500 devices at both the server level and the workstation level. It takes some getting used to but once it's configured management is very quick and easy and reporting is the same. I'm still on version 3.6.1 and haven't jumped to the latest so I can not speak to that. I personally find it annoying that AV vendors want to give you the world wrapped up in one product instead of sticking to what you are looking for... anti-virus.

If you have any questions about this product I'd be happy to try to help answer them.

illuminaeti () gmail com wrote:
Hi list

On the different networks I manage, I've been using Symantec corporate since version 7. I've never had any major issues with it until now.

Version 11, now called "Symantec endpoint Protection" requires IIS and either MS SQL or the symantec embedded database. I installed a copy on a test server and it just about crippled it. Network access from clients was incredibly slow and processor use was hitting %100. I've heard the same comments from a collegue who installed it on a new server at the customer's request. The file server was virtually unusable even before the client was installed on the workstation. Also the new GUI is just plain awful.

I don't have the time or resources to tweak settings to get better performance out of the AV. I've heard good things about NOD32, Sophos and Kaspersky. I've started looking around and of course, every website I visit tells me the software they sell is the best in the universe.

So, looking for real answers from real users, I thought I'd ask you all about your experience, positive or negative,
with various corporate antivirus software.

Thanks in advance.