Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MD5-Hash of a SHA-1-Hash unsecure?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:34:00 -0800

  "Less secure" than what?  I can't tell what the other side of
the comparison is supposed to be.

  Could this be made more secure?  Well, your IV is being
deterministically generated from the password chosen by the user,
and so that password is your actual bits of key strength --
probably not very much, since users tend to like short words as
passwords.  Algorithmically turning a short password into an IV
doesn't really make it any stronger.
  Nor does the information you've provided say how you get the
password securely from browser to server -- maybe you're punting
that issue to SSL to handle?

  I think the usual way to improve a scheme like this is to add
a shared secret ("salt") to the password before hashing, some value
that both parties know but that never gets transmitted between them.
So the hash is not just a derivative of the password, but also of
knowledge available to legitimate clients and not (readily) available
to others.  Exactly how to implement this will depend on other
characteristics of your environment.

David Gillett