Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: avoiding detection by netcraft site

From: "Dan Denton" <ddenton () remitpro com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:03:49 -0600

Netcraft works (at least in part) by parsing out the signatures supplied by
your web server. If you don't want them to recognize your OS/Server, look
into removing or modifying how your web server displays it's banner. In
apache it's by the ServerSignature and ServerTokens directives.

It's worth noting though that netcraft will continue to cache it's last
reading on your banner.