Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Restricting private "webmail" access from government employer network?

From: straticus21 () yahoo com
Date: 12 Aug 2008 13:53:43 -0000

Most companies should block external e-mail access, as well as filter web access. I work in a very large multi-billion
$ org. and am a security engineer there. We block access to webmail and social networking sites because, they could be
used as vehicles to steal data as well as bring nasty malware into the Firm.  Via e-mail and any service that allows
you to upload an attachment or paste text into a form to be stored, can be used to send confidental data externally.
The same idea applies to Instant Messenger networks, which should also be blocked unless a service such Symantec's IM
Manager is implemented.

Finally, allowing access to these services wastes comapany time, bandwidth, and money. It also lowers productivity --
surfing the web does NOT in all cases and can be a productivity increase, but people should be allowed to do that, but
"surfing" and interacting in "untrusted" communities on corp are two different things....

Just my .02.

Just my .02