Security Basics mailing list archives

entry level vuln assessment/pen tester

From: pfohjo () gmail com
Date: 11 Aug 2008 12:21:43 -0000

I am IT professional with am MS in CS (with specialization in security) which I received about a year ago.  The work
that I have done up to this point and the work that I am doing now is more in security systems (e.g. we are currently
working on a platform for secure dist. systems).  I am starting to realize that the work I would really like to be
doing is more in the direction of vulnerability assessment/analysis, pen testing, or incident response.

My current position would not let me transition into such a position since it is simply not something they do.  My
question becomes this:  Could anyone give me some tips or guidelines for transitioning into such a position having no
formal experience?  I believe that my CV is quite competitive and I do have what I would consider the basis which I
need, but where do I start?  What kind of positions do I look for?  Though I got my degrees in the States, I am
currently in Europe and would like to avoid another larger move, so does anyone know of firms in Europe where I might
have a good chance starting?

I apologize if this is a little of-topic, however I figured looking for an entry level IT security position falls most
appropriately under "Security Basics"

Thanks