Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: statefull inspection FW and hackers

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:15:13 -0700

  Statefulness doesn't help with SYN port scans -- that much is correct.

  However, some attacks may depend on violating the normal state transitions
or sequencing of TCP traffic, or on scanning with other sorts of packets --
I see unsolicited SYN-ACK packets all the time.  (Those are probably just
what a scan with RST or FIN packets would reveal.)

  Most of the stateful firewalls I've seen also do inspection of FTP control

traffic, so that FTP data sessions on negotiated ports can be allowed
without
leaving masses of high-numbered ports open all the time. An awful lot of
junk/noise can be filtered out by that.

David Gillett