Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: mirroring cable model traffic

From: Chas Meyer <chas.meyer () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 15:05:55 -0500

Its a Linksys NH1005 10/100 5-port hub (I actually had to go to Walmart to buy this thing since no one else sells hubs anymore locally, only switches). However, I decided to punk out and just set up what was going to be my monitoring station as a firewall/router/ squid-server/snort/whatever-the-hell-else-I-want in between my cable modem and my router/switch (which I put into bridge mode). This will give me more flexibility, and I should be able to get meaningful IP info this way since I can monitor on the inside of the NAT setup. Works great - shorewall, squid, and snort are a breeze to set up (I highly recommend it). So now its off to return my hub to the store and pick up a UPS for my newly minted router/server.