Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A Good/Secure Reverse Proxy Product

From: Aaron Howell <aaron_howell () ngenuity-is com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:09:51 -0700

Hi Paul,
 You don't specify what OS you would like to run your reverse proxy
software on. That detail would help people point you in the right direction.

 That being said, I currently protect ALL of my windows systems that
have a need to serve anything to the internet with Apache reverse
proxies running on OpenBSD or Linux (Slackware, if you care) systems. I
have found that they work quite well for this purpose, they're easy to
take care of, and run nicely on re-purposed hardware. I have not used
this setup with OWA, since I stay as far from Exchange as I can manage,
but based on my experience, I can't imagine there would be any specific
problems with that setup.

Aaron

pguibord () thenailcogroup com wrote:
Greetings to all,

We have a new MS Exchange server and the administrator wants to provide remote Outlook Web Access access to it from
the internet.
As opposed to having a direct outside to inside translation to it I was told that we could put a reverse proxy server
in the DMZ and then provide a DMZ to inside translation form there.

First of all does this sound like the safest approach and if so can anyone provide the name of a good stable/secure
reverse proxy product.

Thanks,

Paul

--