Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web filters - Effects on Productivity

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:49:56 +1000

There was a good story that got on slashdot yesterday about the Chicago
School of Law and professors having similar concerns to you:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/04/18/laptops

I think that people who want to waste time, will. And sometimes, those who
stay longer hours waste time just as much as anyone else.
Perhaps there's a metric for how productive people actually are when they
are not distracted.
It's just that the net gives such an easy opportunity to be distracted.

When I was at school, being distracted meant day-dreaming about any number
of things(making up stories about super heroes etc) I had a vast world at my
neuron-tips...people now have a vast world at their fingertips. It's a shame
that they/we only visit .02% of it looking for gossip and downloading 'free'
games or stupid jokes. Or pr0n.

Personally, I couldn't do my job quite as efficiently if I couldn't surf
relatively freely.