Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Trend Analysis

From: "Nathan Sherlock" <nathans () cyberklix com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:30:10 -0400

It is fine for them to task you with this, but what tools have you been
provided with to properly accomplish this task?  Have the requirements
been defined and documented?

There are various metrics from various tools that feed security trend
analysis, as follows:
- Firewall metrics (e.g. from Checkpoint, Sidewinder),
- Vulnerability Mgmt metrics (e.g. Foundstone, Nessus, Qualys),
- Log/Alert Consolidation/Correlation metrics (e.g. from ArcSight, RSA
enVision),
- Wireless Activity metrics (AirTight, AirDefense),
- IPS metrics (Intrushield, Tipping Point),
- File Integrity metrics (e.g. from Tripwire),

You need to choose what metrics will feed your trend analysis then
choose the method and frequency of communicating that trend - could be
an HTML-based dashboard with links to Excel charts.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Nathan Sherlock