Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Inculcating an interest in Security

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:42:23 +1000

Very good point. Some 'budding engineers' no doubt are only in this for the
moolah and so don't care enough about the nuts and bolts or aren't excited
by what they do. Others, however, will be. It's the same in any industry.
I'm sure your newsletter will find out the ones who care because they are
passionate about what they do.

A great book for people to read if they are interested, or even for
engendering interest is The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll.
Or for fiction, how about Transmission by Hari Kunzru?
Both great fun to read.

Also, if you can relate security back to their every day usage of the
computer(net banking/email/id fraud etc) then many people suddenly become
interested. Why? Because it can affect their bottom line or their notions of
privacy.