Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Phishing Strategies

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:04:23 -0700

Depends on your infrastructure.

Most phishing attacks come through email, so I'd crank up the security
of your email - in particular, I'd do all I could to enforce that you
validate senders (so that mail with spoofed senders gets rejected) and
quarantine email with the most dangerous attachments (all
Microsoft-style documents such as .xls, .doc, .ppt etc., and probably
PDFs and zip files as well) so that they must be deliberately rescued
by the recipient.

User education is wasted if it's only of the kind that says to users
"don't open attachments from people you don't know", etc. Much better
(if your org or user base can tolerate it) might be to send email that
actually tempts users to do silly things, and then chides them for it.
There's no lesson quite like having the firecracker go off in your
hand, and if you give them one that makes a loud noise without
actually blowing off their fingers, they'll be careful when they
handle the really dangerous stuff.

Kurt