Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Permission Audit Tool - Windows

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:45:52 +0000

you could run cacls and dump it to a file for review later.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx?mfr=true

Take Care and Have Fun --John
From: krymson () gmail com
I wish I could give you an easy open source/free tool, but I can't. Hopefully
someone else can so I can also use it. :)

In case you do talk to some vendors, the biggest problem with reporting
permissions is dealing with duplicates. Tools like xcacls will report every
single object or folder, whether it is inherited or different from its parent.
You really want to eliminate all that garbage and only report explicit
permissions, with the assumption that inheritance is otherwise present
downstream. Almost an exception report.

1) Free, but nearly useless

You could use cacls/xcacls, but the output you get will be next to useless.

2) Free, but a little effort

Windows PowerShell allows for some excellent scripting of permissions audits and
other such stuff. If you know PS, you should use this as it affords you a lot of
customizable power.

3) Commercial, but very cool

I really enjoyed my trials of ScriptLogic's Enterprise Security Reporter [1] a
year ago. You can get some nice reports on permissions

[1] http://www.scriptlogic.com/products/enterprisesecurityreporter/

<- snip ->

I am looking for audit tool that will give me a report on all the file
permission on a windows 2000/2003 servers. I will prefer open source but would
be willing to look at commercial software if it is superior.