Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Event Log Monitor Program

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:02:16 -0700

On each server, I'd place either the Snare client
(http://www.intersectalliance.com - it's open source) or evtsys
(google for it, I don't have the URL handy) - these format the events
and send them out via syslog. To collect the logs, it depends on what
you want to do, but the Kiwi syslog server is free or damn cheap (the
free version won't log to ODBC or do a couple of other useful things,
the pay version will, and last I looked, the pay version was around
US$100.00) and really good, or set up a *nix box (I like FreeBSD) .

As a possible alternative, OSSEC might be worth your while.
http://www.ossec.org - it's a HIDS package that seems very
interesting, though I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Kurt