Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Threat vector of running a service using a domain account

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:24:56 -0400

I'm not sure...so I'm just spectulating...but

All service account passwords are stored locally in the LSA secrets
store.

Cachedump only works locally against the cached passwords, left in
MEMORY to facilitate service authentications.  You can't get to the
truly stored hashes on the disk because they are protected by a secure
mechanism, so you have to get them in the memory cache area.  I'm
guessing that the real hash is stored securely.  When the service starts
up and uses a Kerberos account, the pre-auth hash is sent, and in memory
briefly. But after the pre-auth handshake, what is kept in memory is the
Kerberos token, which is now used for all future auth. needs for the
next 10 hours or more.

I could, and may be wrong.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, CISA, MCSE: Security (2000/2003), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious
Attacks (Wiley)
*http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Security-Securing-Malicious/dp/0470
101555