Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Threat vector of running a service using a domain account

From: badz <smanaois3 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:26:04 +0800

Hi Saqib,

Can you be more specific on the "administrative access" requirements
of this account? My two bits, using the account in the manner you have
mentioned is rather risky; service accounts normally do not have
password expiry and aging.

You may want to check and play around with NTRights.exe, SC.exe and
SUBINACL.exe when setting the account's privileges as per your
requirements (starting services, registry modification, interactive
logon rights, network access rights, etc.). I'm not sure if these can
help but I normally use them when restricting service accounts on my
machines.

HTH.

Salvador Manaois III