Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: LAN issue

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:27:23 -0700

1) To enumerate shares on student machines, one tool that I've found
useful is Angry IP  Scanner, found at
http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/. You'll want to grab the shares.dll
plugin for it, if you're scanning from a Windows box.

2) To stop it from happening, you'll need to either:

     a) Stop them from being administrators on their machines
          (*That's* not going to happen - just google 'nordahl
password' to see why)
     or

     b) Engineer your network so that SMB/CIFS doesn't work between
     the workstations on your LAN.
          (I find that highly unlikely also)

Kurt

On 25 Oct 2007 14:54:51 -0000, ankit.gupta.er () gmail com