Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Laptop - Full Disk Encryption? (Booting defeats FDE)

From: Bill Stout <billbrietstout () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

S,

How to defeat full disk encryption:  Boot up

A workmate reminded me that the disk is decrypted during startup by the decryption drivers.  It's an all or nothing
deal.  Once the computer has booted you have a normal; logon prompt, network services (\\notebook\c$), USB devices,
etc.  Check if the product protects against safeboot (F8) interruption.  A startup password could add security
depending on how strongly that is implemented, but most users/companies want transparent operation.

Disk errors and failures are common on laptops, and FDE vendors are very cautious about checking for existing disk
errors before installation so research the impact FDE has on disk reliablity.  I believe things like defragmentation
are no longer possible afterwards either (I may be wrong on this).

Also keep in mind that you're loading more file system filter drivers, and the Windows kernel (2003, XP) has only three
slots available.  Combining things like AV, DFS, Backup agents, and FDE may cause data corruption.  Any two security
products loaded may not show an incompatibilty, but three or more could be a problem.  There is a special request MS
patch to increase the number of kernel slots for file system filters, btw.

 - File system filter drivers http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/filterdrv/default.mspx
 - Three file system filter limit patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906866

For protection of data on the computer _after_ it's running, you may consider products that offer more granular
file-level encryption like Credant Technologies or Information Security Corp.  These products encrypt what's important
(user files and temp files), but allow for standard support, backup and recovery practices.

Bill Stout