Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall rulebase audit

From: "Kevin Ortloff" <Kevin.Ortloff () j2global com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:08:51 -0700

I would say that the best audit for firewalls are manual. There are
tools that can point things out to you, but usually I run nessus or
similar from the outside to gain knowledge of open ports, then I
manually go through the acl's. Once, that's cleaned up, look at your
object groups, hit counters, and translations.