Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web Application Vulnerability Scanner

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 07:59:26 +1100

To take the PCI-DSS quote:

"11.2 Run internal and external network vulnerability scans at least quarterly and after any significant change in the
network (such as new system component installations, changes in network topology, firewall rule modifications, product
upgrades).

Note: Quarterly external vulnerability scans must be performed by a scan vendor qualified by the payment card industry.
Scans conducted after network changes may be performed by the company's internal staff."

You need both the scan vendor and (unless you like to pay lots of money) an internal scan. There is no requirement that
you need a special tool. Nessus is ok as long as you can use it correctly and also maintain the system design and
config well.

What I rarely see is the "internal scans" component. Remember that a Qualys scan of the external interface is NOT an
internal scan.

Personally, form actually auditing systems, I would ask more the do you have s11.5 covered? Do you have integrity
monitoring tools on ALL systems. This is Aide, Tripwire or similar (Redhat patch management tools are NOT integrity
tools even if they do check hashes)?

Regards,
Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.