Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spying in a corporate environment

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:09 +1100

There are a couple ways to look at this issue. It is possible to restrict the "local admin user". However, local admin
rights enable you to setup a service or process that runs as system.

System rights can override any and all GPO imposed restrictions and allow direct memory rewriting and the injection of
dll's (as per debug privilege - even if this is removed from the local admin).

Setting restrictions on local admin makes life a little more difficult for the user/attacker, but it by no means stops
them all together.

Regards,

Craig S Wright (GSE-Compliance)

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.