Security Basics mailing list archives

R: managment application for switches/SNMP

From: "Vega - Brunello Ivan" <I.Brunello () vegaspa it>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:11:43 +0100

for configuration maybe you should look at Ziptie (have not tested deeply, but it seems quite good at configuration
management)

Personally, I prefer to configure ports by hand.

But I use a wonderful OSS tool - netdisco - to discover both devices and end nodes; just SNMP needed.
It can fetch mac, arp, and cdp (or lldp) info from devices, and correlate it, so you can see how the devices are
interconnected, and where every single node is.
Furthermore, if you configure a read-write community, you could also enable/disable ports via a web intrerface.

For performance, I'd suggest NMIS (but, since I am one of the developers, I can't be that impartial).

Ivan Brunello