Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability assessment certification

From: Ramki <bramkie () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:00:52 +0530

I agree with you, 3 days is too short.

At the same time it also depends on who is doing the course, if somebody with good levels of understanding on security does this course it will have a good amount of weight.

Ramki

Hari Sekhon wrote:
A 3 day course? How much weight can that really hold.

It takes years to build up security skills, they can't be cheated. Yes, you need to be able to program, you need deep understandings of how M$ and Unix systems works, networking, databases, webapps etc etc. Each of these could take years and years to learn by themselves. If you don't fully understand a system then how can you go beyond that to abuse it and hence protect it from being abused?

At work, I find countermeasures to naughty things that I myself do. That is the only way that I see you can truly be a security guy. But I do not consider myself a security expert by a long shot. It will take some more years for me...

It is incredibly hard to be such a good security guy. If it was easy, then everyone could do it, it would be worthless and security guys would get paid the same as people in Tescos...

-h

Hari Sekhon

Ramki wrote:
neo anderson wrote:
Hi List,
I was wondering that is there any globally recognized certification
aimed towards tagging you as a "vulnerability assessment
professional".
If it is so, I want to know how much advisible it is to go for.
What are the extent of "Career Advancement" for someone with
Security+/CEH like entry level certification.
Thanking you in advance.

Hi

I recently did this course, its called "cVa - Certified Vulnerability
Assessor", the course is meant for Techno-Managers and is recognized by
DNV.....

http://www.dnvindia.com/dnvtraining/category/information_security_courses/cvacourse5days.asp

This link says its 5day course but the one i attended was for 3 days,
the instructor told me it was reduced from 5 days after feedback from
participants.

http://securematrix.in/content/category/7/25/52/ - is the course page in
training company's website.

HTH,