Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: CCNA

From: Shawn <swarzkopf () legolas sinnerz us>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 19:54:50 -0400 (EDT)

I couldn't disagree more. No, CCNA is not specifically a "security" cert; however, to be a *truly* effective security professional in the vast
majority of corporate networks, in depth Cisco knowledge is a must have.

Take a look through the classifieds- you'll see so many postings with "Cisco" or "CCNA" in them. Furthermore, for whatever reason, warranted or not, I've found that IT management views CCNA incredibly fondly.

For a fresh college grad, the combination of your CS degree and CCNA certification will be strong medicine to potential employers- perhaps picking up S+ would be the icing on the cake and give you that perception of being "security oriented".

*Note- I am not a CCNA. I've just seen the perception associated with CCNA holders firsthand (especially working in PIX networks).

My 2 cents for what its worth!

-Shawn