Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Query: Filtered Ports I do not use. Should i be worried?

From: "Petter Bruland" <pbruland () fcglv com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:47:49 -0700

Filtered just means that your firewall / router is responding to the
port scan saying that there's no such service here. The better way (In
my opinion) is to block these ports so that the person scanning does not
get a reply at all. Might keep someone from trying different ways to get
through, as they know something is there.

-Petter