Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Consulting Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:10:21 -0700

  If you're not already aware of Bugtraq, you should be.
It originated as a forum for publishing notices of bugs
and fixes, but has evolved into a community of disclosure
of security flaws.  A convention has evolved for
"responsible disclosure" which gives responsible vendors
a chance to verify and fix an issue before the researcher
goes public and gets credit for the discovery.

  What you absolutely want to avoid is anything that can
be construed as "I've broken your security, so give me
money".  (And if it's remotely possible that what you say
can be construed this way, somebody WILL.)

  People have probably gotten away with signing on to a
paid security audit/pentest/whatever gig, and presenting
as product of that work a vulnerability actually discovered
in advance.  But that's ethically shady and probably
illegal; if you have to disclose it to land the gig then you
can as easily wind up facing prosecution as employment.

David Gillett