Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to find out a list of available ftp servers on LAN

From: Turbo <sandeep_kr () students iiit net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 01:56:57 +0530 (IST)

Thanks to all. I never thought I will find so helpful members here.

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Lukasz Szmit wrote:

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 05:28 +0530, Turbo wrote:
I am using following command :-
nmap -n -P0 -p 21 -oG ftpLog.gnmap -iL IPs.txt
Are their other better options? or improvements to above command?
It takes around 7 mins to scan a list of 8960 IPs. Its ok, but I am still
looking for faster options.

I'd use:
nmap -n -P0 -sT -p 21 --max-retries 0 --open -oG ftpLog.gnmap -iL
IPs.txt

Wow! --open is good. That would save me one grep!
This is the exact command that I am using now:-
nmap -n -P0 -p 21 --max_rtt_timeout 100 --max_retries 0 --open -oG ftpLog.gnmap -iL IPs.txt I don't have root privileges and so nmap defaults to -sT. The above command takes about 4 mins on my network. I am also going to try out other tools mentioned.
Thanks all. Still open to improvememnts...

If you're trying to discover accessible FTP' on you LAN, Connect scan
(-sT) is fine, otherwise use SYN (-sS) which *may* bypass some firewalls
and give better results.

Setting max-retries to 0 will result in nmap sending just a single probe
- this gives a significant improvement in scan time on my box for a /24
compared to defaults (1.172 seconds vs. 14.754 seconds). You may miss
some slow-to-respond boxes.

The --open option will spare you some noise in the output as
closed/filtered ports won't be reported.

regards,

--
I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
Home Page : http://students.iiit.ac.in/~sandeep_kr